Thursday, May 03, 2007

Back To The Future

Fellow Liberal Drinkers, I did not watch the Republican POTUS debates. I stand steadfastly and resolutely by my previous statements that it's way too freaking early for this shit. But, I did spend several minutes watching Chris Matthews' pre-show on MSNBC. If I heard him lovingly reference Ronald Reagan in a Jeff Gannonish-way twenty times, I heard it a thousand and not just because the debates were being held at Reagan's tomb. I'll get to that disturbing little fact later. But for the time being...Eeeewww! Anyway, what I got from my mercifully short viewing of MSNBC's 'DC Pundits With Dead Man-Crushes Gone Wild', is that they and the GOP believe what America needs and wants from them is another Ronny.

Do they long for a president that will be mentally incapacitated his entire second term? Does the nostalgia of a nuclear arms race with the former Soviet Union bring a tear to their eye? Or is it just that they miss those good old days when their scandals were slightly fewer and the biggest one merely involved selling arms to Iran? Can't say that I blame them completely, seeing that their Commander Guy and his gang of Rubber Stampers are responsible for the Scandal Tsunami that swept their dreams of a one-party state far out of reach last November. Or maybe it's just that they miss the 'glamour' of the 80's....wanton greed, snorting coke and being called Yuppies...

I don't remember much good about Reagan or the 80's. I will forever hate that pink-cheeked mentally-demented SOB for refusing to acknowledge HIV/AIDS as a major health threat . Former Reagan Administration Communications Director (and current MSNBC pundit) Pat Buchanan, claimed that AIDS was 'nature's revenge on gay men'. Reagan's position on HIV/AIDS not only contributed to the spread of the disease but fomented the heinous persecution and discrimination of dying people.

I remember his skinny reeyoch beyotch of a wife telling poor folks to 'Just Say No' to drugs; the twentieth-century's equivalent to 'Let Them Eat Cake'. I remember Reagan tried to get ketchup classified as a vegetable for the lunches we provide poor and low-income school children after he called all of their mom's 'Welfare Queens'.

I remember my middle-class parents struggling with high interest loans and higher taxes. They had two kids graduating from college during the middle of his first term and two more entering college at the beginning of his second. I don't think my poor mom even smiled even once that entire decade. I remember huge budget deficits and the destruction of the air traffic controller's union. Reagan's domestic policy screwed both the poor and the middle-class equally.

In 1984, the same year I graduated from high-school, the Doomsday Clock inched the closest it ever had towards 'midnight' due to Reagan's nuclear arms policy. A movie starring Matthew Broderick about the near nuclear annihilation of our planet, called War Games, was nominated for 3 Oscars in 1983. Another 1983 movie gem which was made for TV, called The Day After, about what would happen the day after we bombed the crap out of each other with nukes, was all the talk in the hallways of my high-school. The 80's were scary as hell.

I remember that we lost John Lennon in the 80's and to this day I dream of how he would have been another brave vital voice against the malicious idiocy of the Bush Administration and their vacant-eyed-drooling followers.

The Republicans want to give Americans another Reagan? The last guy they shoved down our throats, Dubya, is Reagan on steroids, booze and cocaine. And incidentally just as mentally incapacitated albeit in a different way. I haven't been this frightened of the state of our nation or world since Reagan was president.

Personal aside to the GOP: For reasons I list above Ronny was not the best your party has offered America. How about another Roosevelt, Lincoln or Eisenhower instead? Not only were they much better examples of true leadership but they are just as dead as Ronny so you can satisfy your morbidly obsessive creepy stalker-ish tendencies by debating at their grave-sites as well.

The current decade under Republican leadership is even scarier and crappier than the last one they gave the American people. Instead of the Doomsday Clock we have the Rapture Watch. Instead of a nuclear race, our illegal invasion of Iraq has radicalized millions of Muslims against the west. Instead of HIV/AIDS, we have accelerated global warming and climate change threatening to wipe out the human race. We cannot afford another 'The Next Reagan'.

For our sake, let's hope that 2008 will be the year that the GOP realizes that going back in time to fix the future is only possible on a studio lot in California. Hello...McFly!

No comments: